Saturday, May 06, 2006

I QUIT BROADCASTING!!!!

Well, it finally happened. After 20 plus years of broadcasting, getting up early in the morning, covering city council, school board meetings, breaking news, I was given the proverbial axe on April 26th 2006, the day after my 39th birthday. The reason given, "My health is bad".

Sure my health was bad. They were running me into the ground. No one can keep up the pace of trying to keep a local radio station running with complete news that people want, only for managment, and the management above, and the owner wanting more, more, more, more.

So, I now work at a Police Department in Arkansas. Will go full time on July 1st. I've worked part time at this department for a year now, just in case something like this happened. I should have known better. Their track record was pretty bad when it came to on air and news people. But I thought things would be different. They weren't. In 2005, I brought home 1st place in Feature Reporting. I worked one week straight from the Fire Station when the City of License was hit by an F-3 tornado and wiped out 60% of the city. I gave it my all. That wasn't enough apparantly. Someone called me the day before I was dismissed, one of my regular listeners on my talk show to wish me a Happy Birthday. Management was enraged over that!!!!! That is small town radio, where people care about other people. Since then, I have received numerous calls, and had people stop me on the street telling me they were not happy with the station now. I'm not going to bad mouth them. OH, they did offer to let me work part time.....forget it. I have officially retired from broadcasting. Now I have health, dental, and vision benefits, plus a municipal retirement. Moreover, I have the respect of the city council, mayor, and the police, fire and ambulance service.

Why is it that those of us who have been in the business for years, try to serve our community the best we know how end up getting the axe? Guess it comes down to the almighty dollar.

I hate to discourage anyone from going into the business, but several of my friends across the state of Missouri and other states as well have lost their jobs over the past few weeks. It's definately not what it was years ago. But on the plus side, on top of the benefits, my blood pressure has gone down to normal, I sleep better, and I really can't say I miss the place. Anytime you have to vomit before you go to work guess that's a warning sign that you need a change. And that is what I did. In the upcoming weeks, I'll keep you posted on this and other things going on in the world.

Bill Page
Kennett, MO

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home