Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Storms, storms and more storms

Wild night in Kennett and the Missouri Bootheel as well as Northeast Arkansas last night. We had numerous thunderstorms, wind gusts to 50 to 60 mph, heavy rain flooding all the streets in Kennett. This morning, more storms are coming this way.

Just out of curiosity, I tuned in to my old station to see if they were on the air with any information. Nope....nada...zip....just the disembodied (sp?)
NOAA Weather Radio voice. All those times I spent going in at 1 a.m. or whatever time to warn people....I could have gotten quite a bit of sleep.

Now, I don't want to sound bitter about what happened to me. As I said before, I think they did me a favor. I just don't like going out in town, and being asked about what happened and people upset about news, weather coverage since I was let go. It was their decision. And it apparently is one that many radio stations are doing right now.

I read a blog from Randy Raley, as well as Steve Mays. Two people I really respect in this business. For years, I really didn't agree that radio was going to have a downfall. And I still don't. with one exception. You have to keep your radio station LOCAL!!!! I can put a CD in anytime, and listen to it. If I tune in to a local TV or radio broadcast, it's for INFORMATION. Steve brought up a few good points, and you should visit his blog www.smays.com. Several younger people aren't even listening to conventional radio anymore. When KBOA FM went from Music of Your Life and the Hometown News was taken off of it and the format switched to Adult Contemporary, there were quite a few people that complained. I got quite a bit of complaints...I told them it wasn't my doing. Guess I should have seen the writing on the wall back then.

As for the future, well, things aren't too bad. Just got finished working several marathon shifts at the Rector Police Department. We've been shorthanded, so my termination at the station came at the right time for them. Several people have come up to me as I said earlier talking about the station. Guess they want me to bad mouth the stations....that's not me. They had their reasons....radio is a business, and a business needs to make money. Unfortunately, several news departments not only here, but across the nation are being cut. When it comes to radio destruction, it appears that Radio is it's worst enemy.

More to come.
Bill P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home